Thursday, April 2, 2009

Making Memories

So I went to a funeral today for my Uncle. I hardly knew him. I went through the line and had to be introduced to most of my cousins. I hardly know any of them as well. When my parents divorced I was three and I didn't have much to do with my dad's side of the family after that. I wish I had. It seems like they are all a great bunch of people.

At the funeral all of my uncle's boys stood up and talked about great memories they have of their father. That got me thinking about the memories I have of my dad. I can't think of any. That is so sad to me. I can't think of one memory I have of him when I was small other than riding in his truck when he would drive me back home from a visit.

I want to make sure that my boys know and love their cousins on both sides of their family. I want to make sure that my boys have so many memories of their dad that they have a hard time figuring out which one is their favorite. I never want them to feel like they are out of place and alone when they are surrounded by family.

I just feel like I missed out on so much. I try not to feel sorry for myself but today I think I will allow myself to for just a little while. Sorry for such a depressing blog. This is more for me than for anyone else. I'll do a more cheerful blog in a few days.

Joyce

2 comments:

Bobbie said...

It's not your fault that you don't have many early memories of dad. Let's try to make some now while we still have him. I think it will be worth our efforts

Mrs. B said...

I really feel for you. It is hard when you think of what you could have had. I have learned though, that its what you have that is the real thing. Your dad is a great guy, and you have him now.