Monday, March 30, 2009

My baby boy is 18!

So Gabe turns 18 today. It is such a bittersweet day for me. I am so proud of him and the choices he has made. I have been thinking all day today what I could have or should have done differently to help him meet this day with confidence and the knowledge he will need.

I think back to the day he was born. I was so scared and alone. God blessed me with such a special boy that has been so patient with me and has been the great example to me that I needed. I have been in awe of his faith and persistence in all he does. He never quits and never gives up in all he does. Ok, except for maybe jobs. We have to work on that one.

I thought I would ask all of you that read this blog what you would tell a young man turning 18. If you could give him one bit of advice what would you say?

I hope I have taught him the things he can use in his life. I hope he will still come to me with questions and problems and maybe even a hug now and then. Geez I love this kid!

3 comments:

Mrs. B said...

Hey, he's a great kid and that didn't just happen.
However, being so full of knowledge, I would say that my advice would be:
Be good.

Anonymous said...

I would say to you and him that you have both grown and learned from each other and his life is just begining and all of the things that you taught him will be a stepping stone and a tool that he will use for the rest of it. He has grown up so much and is someone my kids have really looked up to and enjoyed being with. It takes a special mother to raise a fine young man like you have and it will just keep getting better. Tell him we love him and good luck with everything he does!

Love Pacer and Hollie

Bobbie said...

Gabe - This time of your life is much like an earlier one. You are learning to walk on your own one more time. Just like before, you have a loving family close by to cheer you on and to make sure that they are there should you stumble. But remember that you will stumble. When you fall, get back up and try again. You will feel loving arms around you helping you and guiding you through the hard times - some seen and mnay unseen. Keep your eyes on a goal worthy of your best efforts and you will succeed. You're a great kid! Love you tons - Uncle Bobbie